How Do You Know You're In A Narcissistic Relationship?
Most partners of narcissists are innocent. They can't imagine someone being like that. Or if they can, they don't think it could happen to them.
I get it. Being married to one for 27 years, I was naïve.
I only realized it late in the marriage. She came to think I was finally in her clutches. Her covert bullying became overt. She informed me that I could never escape the relationship.
It shocked me. All at once I saw the nature of how she had regarded me all along. It explained SO much about the relationship!
Since then, it's been a journey... a deep dive into understanding narcissists and those who love them.
Here are some things to look for...
Your partner might be a narcissist if they:
- Are self absorbed
- Insist they are always right
- Have uncontrolled fits of anger
- Are very judgmental of others
- Dodge responsibility for their actions
- Often act very defensive
- Are hypocritical and two-faced
- Act like a control freak
- Have little or no concern for your feelings
- Think the world owes them whatever they want
- Seem disconnected or distant
- Live in a fantasy world
- Often tell you how wrong you are
- Are a know-it-all
- Direct subtle or overt threats toward you
- Cut people out of their life who don't do what they want
- Have a feeling that they are superior to everyone else
- Are an extreme tightwad for expenses you want, free spender for what they want
- Are a chronic liar or leave out important facts that might make them look bad
- Have little self-awareness
Many people act in one or another of these ways from time-to-time. If it isn't a major part of their personality, they are probably not a narcissist.
But if they tick the box on many or most of them, you might want to pay attention. And especially pay attention to how you feel about these traits.
What is your experience? Share it below...